Ivermectin Poisoning in Dogs

May 11, 2022 0 Comments

Ivermectin is an antiparasitic medication commonly used to control heartworms. It works by causing neurological damage to the parasite, resulting in paralysis and death. It is the main ingredient used in most monthly prescription heartworm medications like Heartgard, prescribed by your vet.

There are however, similar products containing this drug which are approved for use in cattle, horses and other large animals. Ivomec, for example, is one of them. Since it is the same drug but costs way less, some people choose to use this product on their dog, in an Rad-140 SARMs Review effort to reduce pet costs. And this is where the problem really occurs. Why? The dosage is at a much higher level of concentration (as it is meant for cattle and horses) and administering too high a dosage can cause toxicity in your dog.

Ivomec warning: This product should not be used in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result.

Also, there are certain dog breeds (herding breeds especially like Collies and Sheepdogs) that cannot tolerate the drug.

Bottom line – Never administer any drug to your dog without first seeking counsel from your veterinarian. Only under the guidance of your veterinarian should you administer Ivomec to your dog. It is not made for dogs and even the smallest dosage error could be lethal.

Symptoms of ivermectin poisoning include:

dilated pupils
stumbling around
weakness
tremors
vomiting
drooling
unwillingness to eat
blindness
coma
and death!

When used properly, through prescriptions from your Vet, this drug is considered safe as an effective heartworm preventative.